.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

They'll all fall

Monday, January 31, 2005

Turning off internal dialogue

In the rapport example in the last post, Archangel refers to turning off internal dialogue. This is a sufficiently large topic that a separate post is warranted.

The most effective way to turn off internal dialogue that I know of is reading Dan Scorpio's article "Immediate Practical Choiceless Awareness". Just reading that and contemplating it for ten minutes made me able to silence most internal dialogue.

In conversations, I add in total focus on the other party. I try to always focus on what they are saying, interspacing my own comments when it comes naturally. I do not wait to find a space to say something I want to say - I either interrupt at the moment I get my thought, or drop the thought and go back to focus on what the person is saying. If my thought is important, I know I will get it again when it is appropriate.

The remaining part of my internal dialogue usually consist of repeating various ways of saying something to a person when I am not with the person. This is a stress reaction, and indicate that I have issues relating to that person. These "issues" are usually a combination of direct stress towards the person (something I have not yet communicated to the person, and may never be able to), what I call "back flows", and generic stress anchors. The main monologue/dialogue I can relieve just by focusing on the body feeling I get and relaxing. This release the stress presently associated with that particular issue.

However, the technique often only work temporarily, and sometimes the stress will be too intense to handle that way. I have other techniques I use to extend the stress release to be permanent and to handle hard cases. These will be the topic of a later post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home